Corll Homes in History, contined

Home The Corll Story The Corll Story, Part 2 The Corll Story, Part 3 Strange Events in Corll History Photos Family Portraits: Part One Family Portraits: Part Two Family Portraits, Part Three Family Portraits, Part Four Family Portraits, Part Five Family Portraits, Part Six Corll Cousins Issues Corll Homes in History 1 Corll Homes in History 2 Corll Homes in History 3 Corll Homes in History 4 Corll Obituaries Corll Obituaries Page 2 Corll Obituaries Page 3 Corll Obituaries Page 4 Obituary Index Corll Family Tree Corll Family Tree Number 2 Corll Family Tree Number 3 Blog

A few Corll houses, churches, business etc.of the Corlls in the 19th & 20th centuries

My dad would always say, "It's too bad that the old must make way for the new."  The places frequented by the Corlls in the past are being demolished or falling into disrepair. The churches they used to attend have been abandoned and used today for warehousing.  The houses they lived in have been torn down for urdan housing development. The business establishments such as grocery stores, hotels, tailor shops, blacksmith shops, cider mills,drug stores, butcher shops only exist as a memory in research.  The one room schools ,even the large consolidated schools have disappeared.  In this section are a few of those places.

The Francis Corll Homestead on Kirk Road

This is the birthplace of Paul R. Corll, founder of this web site.  The two story frame house was built during the depression days of the 1930's by Francis and Idelle Corll. Francis , in addition to working at the U.S. Steel Mill, was a farmer, He would plant corn, oats, soy beans, hay, wheat, etc.  He raised ponies, cows, goats, rabbits, swine, and chickens.  The same fields once cultivated are now a part of the Austintown Township Park  As last seen in 2005 this house was abandoned and falling into disrepair. (see picture below)

The William Corll Homestead on Lisbon Road; Canfield,OH

William Corll was married to Mary Ann Fullweiler.  They lived in Canfield, Ohio on Lisbon Street.  I believe that this house located a short distance from the village and just over the railroad track bed still exists, The last time I saw it, its was  an office for a governmental agricultural program  The rail road tracks are gone and a walking path for the public took its place. William in several pieces of research was a hotel operator, a doctor, a farmer etc. None of those business establishments remain.  His son was the well known druggist Jessie Oliver or "J.O. Corll "as they referred to him in the late 1800's.  Jesse was named after his grandfather Jesse Corll. (see picture below)

The Isaac and Hettie Brunstetter Corll Homestead, 1890s

Isaac Corll and Hettie Brinstetter lived in Canfield, Mahoning County, Ohio. at Herbert's Corners.  Herbert's Corners is the intersection of Herbert Road and the Canfield - Niles Road.  This house I believe is still standing on the southeast quadrant of Herbert's Corners.  Isaac was married to the Canfield - Austintown pioneer  Henry Brunstetter's daughter Hettie.   Hettie and Isaac had 12 children.  The house is located on plat 10 of Canfield. It was 60 + acres. The road  they lived on used to be called N. Broad Road. On a very short distance south of this house is the Old N. Cemetery where Isaac, his wife Hettie and many of their infant children are buried.  Isaac lived to a few months past the age of 72. On June 23, 1901 he was sitting comfortably on the front porch when suddenly he threw up his hands snd said "It's All Over."  He died that moment.  Isaac was a farmer and a butcher. by occupation. (see picture below)

The Charles Corll Homestead

The pictures (below)depict the "salt box" style of home (still in existence) of Charles and Jennie Gibbons Corll. The house can be seen on Kirk Road in Austintown, Mahoning County, Ohio. It is located on the north side of the road,  about one mile west of Smith's Corners. The early 19th century houses of Mahoning County were the typical rectangular shape.  As the family grew in size they would add on a continuation of the rear roof giving a "salt box" design. For this partucular house the addition was done around or shortly after the civil war period.  The original part was constructed probably in the 1850's.  Around the windows of the original part they stuffed newspapers from the civil war period, to keep out the draft. Paul Corll found these shredded papers in the 1960s as some interior alterations were being made,  As the years past in the post civil war period they added on the salt box addition for a  kitchen and family room.  Still later in the 1900s a porch was built in front of the house. It is a two story framed house of seven rooms.

Charles Corll Homestead, 1890s

This old house survived into the middle of the 1900's.  It existed on the large farm of Eli and Rebecca Corll Yeager.  Eli's house was a two story framed house  on plat 6, 3rd division of Canfield Twp., Mahining Co., OH. The 125 acre farm  was located south of Smith's Corners on the Canfield-Niles Road (Rte 46). Today this is the site of the Green Haven Memorial Gardens.  Just north a hundred feet or more of Eli's house stood this old  two story house in the middle 1900s. This is where grandfather  Charles Corll and Grandmother Jennie Gibbons lived a short time after their marriage event. Both houses have been demolished and the office of the Green Haven Memorial Gardens occupies the site of the Yeager home. (see pivture below)

The Village Blacksmith: Martin Corll No.1

A self-made businessman was Martin Corll.  He was born October 17,1863 to David and Lydia Forney Corll.  Martin opened his own blacksmith shop on the northeast corner of Raccoon and Kirk Roads, Austintown Twp., Mahoning Co., Ohio.  His business flourished  during the last of the 19th century and the first of the 20th century.  These pictures show Martin standing in the doorway of his shop and shoeing a horse in front of his shop (circa 1900 a.d.).  The shop was dismantled in the early part of the 20th century. (see pictures below)

The German Lutheran and Reformed Church:Canfield,OH

The German settlers arrived in Canfield, Ohio around 1805.  They organized their own Lutheran and Reformed Church before they had a building designated a church. The services were held in private homes of George  Lynn, Peter Lynn and others. They had a temporary house of worship in the village of Canfield. By 1810 they built their own house of worship one of the largest frame buildings of it kind.  Land was donated for a cemetery to be next to the church.  This came to be called the the Old North Cemetery. Many of the deceased German worshippers are buried in this cemetery in the old section. (see picture below)

Thw German Reformed & Lutheran Church of Today

The old German Reformed and Lutheran Church of Canfield saw its congregational numbers dwindle by the end of the 1900s.  Many of those who once attended were going to the churches in Cornersburg, Smith's Corners, Ausintown, etc.  By the 20th century the church was sold and in time became the Old North Baptist Church.  By the middle of the 20th century the building was physically moved near the village of Canfield.  Additions were attached to the original building.  By the advent of the 21st century the Baptists decided to build a new church to hold a larger growing congregation.  The picture here shows the church which is in 2005 was used as a warehouse.   For a detailed history of The German Lutheran and Reformed Church of Canfield see the CORLL COUSINS vol. 4, issue 7; June 1999.    (see picture below)     

First Home of Freeman & Ella Corll:Youngstown,OH

Peter Corll was a farmer and partime  carpenter in Youngstown.  He was married to Sarah Rupright.  They lived at the intersection of Kirk Road and Meridian Roads   They had seven children one of whom was Freeman.  Freeman was married to Mary Ellen Stouse.    In the 1880s Freeman and his brother Henry took their families and moved to Seville Twp., Gratiot Co., Michigan (picture below)

Freeman Corll House of Cornersburg, Ohio

This is a house that was built by Freeman Corll in Cornersburg, Ohio. For a full description of the story of Freeman's Corll's family see the CORLL COUSINS : vol 6,issue 10,Dec. 2000 . (picture below)