Corll Homes in History 3

Home The Corll Story The Corll Story, Part 2 The Corll Story, Part 3 Strange Events in Corll History Photos Family Portraits: Part One Family Portraits: Part Two Family Portraits, Part Three Family Portraits, Part Four Family Portraits, Part Five Family Portraits, Part Six Corll Cousins Issues Corll Homes in History 1 Corll Homes in History 2 Corll Homes in History 3 Corll Homes in History 4 Corll Obituaries Corll Obituaries Page 2 Corll Obituaries Page 3 Corll Obituaries Page 4 Obituary Index Corll Family Tree Corll Family Tree Number 2 Corll Family Tree Number 3 Blog

Pictures of Corll Homes and Municipal Establishments

Not all of the following picturesare  are Corll relation homes. Some are the municipal buildings they went to for their regular routine business.  These buildings are still in existence such as the Canfield Normal School and the Warren County Court House.

Josiah D. Strauss store, Cornersburg, OH (below)

In the "Corll Cousins" vol 6. iss.10:Dec. 2000  the focus story was about Carrie Lunetta Corll Lang father was Freeman Corll  born Feb.3,1852, qnd her mother was Mary Ellen Strouse.  Freeman's father was Peter Corll who lived on a 90 acre plat  north of Cornersburg, Ohio, on Meridian Road. Peter Corll was a farmer and partime carpenter.  Peter and Sarah Rupright Corll had seven children.  Mary Ellen's father was Jessia Stouse.  He was a weaver of blankets and rugs. He had a store in Cornersburg, Ohio.. Jessia (Josiah) and his wife Caroline had nine chiuldren one of whom was Carrie Lunetta. (see picture below)

Freeman Corll's General Store, 1910 (below)

This picture  (below)shows Florence Corll, Ada Crouse and Freeman Corll standing in front of Freeman's grocery store in Nunica, Michigan.  Freeman Corll was a part of the Corll migration to Michigan in the 1880's.  He and his brother Henry went there and purchased farms.  They had their families join them at a later time They went to Gratiot Co., MI and then Freeman moved to several other areas over time.  Henry was the Corll who served in the Civil War and marched to the sea with Gen. Sherman.. see Vol.6; issue 10: Dec.2000.

Another Corll family  moving to Michigan in the 1880s was John Corll, Jr. who married Hannah Forney. John, Jr. was a carpenter. He moved to Seville Twp, MI.  This is the family who used the abbreviated spelling of Corl instead of Corll.

The Adam Forney Log Home, Unity, Ohio (below)

For more info refer to CORLL COUSINS: The Forney Connection:Vol. 6, Issue 12: June 2001.  David Corll married Lydia Forney.  They lived on Kirk Rd., Austintown,Twp. Mahoning Co., OH.  The homestead was on the NE quadrant of Kirk Rd. and Raccoon Rd. On the NW quadrant lived Lydia's parents: Nicholas and Elizabeth Sponsailor Forney.  Nicholas and Elizabeth had 14 children two of whom married Corlls.  Lydia married David and Hannah married John. Nocholas had a large estate on plat 19 consisting of 144 acres. Nicholas and Catherine had moved from Unity ,Ohio to Austintown in1839.  In Unity, Ohio which is a short distance south of Youngstown, Ohio is the center of the family that settled in Ohio.  The house pictured (below) is one of their houses. The church and graveyard of the Forneys can be found here (see picture on right).  Refer to the Forney issue of the Corll Cousins for pictures and a very interesting story of their lineage from Europe to PA-MD and to Unity,OH.

Salem Reformed Church (below)

This is the SalemReformed Church in Unity, Ohio.  Here in the Old Fprney Graveyard are the early 1800 Forneys who settled in Ohio. Not too far from Unity is where the Adam Forney house was moved.  There are other old homesteads that have been moved to this preservation area.

Lilac Farm (below)

This is the Lilac Forney Homestead found at 9 Mill Road in Hanpver, PA.  The house is on the tract of land originally purchased from William Penn. It was known as the "Conewago Selltment" or "Diggers Chioce". This area was the first settlement of the Forneys after arriving to America. (see picture below)

Smith Corners One-Room School (below)

West of Smith's Corners on Kirk Road used to stand this one room school house. It used to exist on Henry Crum's farm on plat 22. It is shown on the 1874 & 1899 maps of Austintown Twp. and it lasted up to the first two decades of the 1900s.  There was also a cooper shop on this same site.   When tha schools were consoladated into one large school at Austintown Center, Austintown, Ohio, this school was eventually torn down, Some of it was used in the building of a barn across the rood.  Many of the Corlls such as Chaunce Corll, Francis Corll, and Lewis Corll attended this one room school. (see picture below)

Canfield Ohio Courthouse (below)

One of the buildings frequented by the Corlls over the years is the beautiful courthouse located at the south end of the park on 7th Court Street, Canfield, Ohio.   It was built in 1848 in classical revival style architecture.  It had an addition added in 1862.  It was constructed to house the new county records of Mahoning County.  Mahoning County was formed from the upper townshiips of Columbiana County and from the southern townships of Trumbull County. This action was done in 1846 as Canfield was the new county seat.  By 1876 Youngstown grew from a small village to a larger urban area than Canfield, Youngstown was a growing steel making center and railroad intersection. It had the Mahoning River for transportation and for industrial use.  In 1876 theYoungstowners  desires to become the new county seat was fullfilled as it remains to this day. From 1876 on the old courthouse building for more than four decades  served in educational purposes.  In 1881 the Northeast Normal School was founded. Its primary focus was on teacher training.  It closed in 1910 due to a lack of funding. The Board of Education sold the building in 1923 and it continued to operate under private ownership. From that time onward it housed many businesses including , for a short time, the county district court.   It was restored in the 1960s.  The old bell tower was recontructed.

Home of Peter and Sarah Rupright Corll (Below)

Peter Corll married Sarah Rupright.  They lived on a 90 acre parcel of land on Meridian Road and Kirk Road.  Peter was a farmer and partime carpenter, just like his son Frank Corll previously described.  The location of this plat is just across the border (Meridian Roard) in Youngstown  It was a large two story frame house.Peter Corll had seveal notable children, but the one that brought the news was his grandson Peter J. Corll, son os Levi and Lucy McKelvy Corll.  Peter J., 1898 to 1941 was the Mahoning County sheriff.  Many news stories surrounded him as his police forces tried to enforce the laws of the probition era of the 1920s.

Trumbull County Court House, Warren, Ohio (below)

Trumbull County was once all the area of the Connecticut Western Reserve.  It was named for Jonathan Trumbull, governor of Connecticut, who owned land in this region.  The county was established on July 10,1800.  In time the large tract was divided into townships.  One of these was Warren Township named after Moses Warren who surveyed the town. In the middle of the town stands the old and current courthouse on 161 High St. NW.  It is the third courthouse building for the township.  On Mar 25, 1895 the second courthouse was destroyed by fire. They moved the courthouse business into a temporary site while they built third beautiful Richardson Romanesque style building.  The cornerstone was laid on Thanksgiving Day Nov.11,1897.  The building was made of Amherst Sandstone which the blocks were cut to size on the same property.  A copper roof capped the building. In the bell tower a bell weighing 1500 pounds was hung. Tower clocks were installed. The "statues of justice" were placed. Marble stairways went from floor to floor..  On May 18,1897, the magnificant building was dedicated.     I remember as a child how beautiful the decorations and lights were of the courthouse at Christmas time. This building was visited at one time or another by the many Corlls and extended families living in Trumbull and adjoining counties.                

U.S.Steel Company.Youngstown,Ohio  (below)

Below is a picture of the blast furnaces of the U.S.Steel Company of Youngstown, Ohio. This area is south of Mahoning Ave. at the intersection of the Mahoning River, at the mouth of Mill Creek.  At one time this large tract of land was owned by Abraham Kline who married a Barbara Lynn.  Barbara was the sister to Susannah Lynn ( grandmother to many of the Corlls through her daughter Barbara). Abraham born 1759 in Northampton Co.,PA came to Ohio with his spouse Mary Wartman, They had six children{three sons and three daughters (Jonathan,Solomon, Peter, Mary,Sarah and Betsy). On the huge tract oif land Abraham bought and sold livestock. He raised many horses. When Mary died Abraham married Barbara Lynn.  Barbara had come to Canfield in 1804 with her brothers Peter, John and George.  She kept house for them until she married Abraham Kline. She and Abe had no children.  Abe died of a ruptured blood vessel on November 29, 1816,age 46. When they settled the estate which was huge the auction took three days.  The inventory took nine pages.  Barbara b.6-4-1786 to d.12-5-1873 continued to managed the estate for 57 years,  She gave many donations to the Old N. Church in Canfield, OH and the Heidelberg College.  When she died in 1873  the estate was valued at $25,000. Most of these events took prior to the steel processing establishment  in Youngstown.                                                                                                                                         Many of the Corlls and relations worked in the steel mills throughout the 1900s. Some of those working for U.S.Steel were Francis Corll, Robert Corll, Paul Corll, Lewis Corll, Melvin Megown, etc.  In the late 1900s when the steel processing was financially unfavorable the entire U.S. Steel plants were demolished and with the removal of all the buildings it returned for a while to its pre steel era natural state.