Strange Events in Corll History

Home The Corll Story The Corll Story, Part 2 The Corll Story, Part 3 Strange Events in Corll History Photos Family Portraits: Part One Family Portraits: Part Two Family Portraits, Part Three Family Portraits, Part Four Family Portraits, Part Five Family Portraits, Part Six Corll Cousins Issues Corll Homes in History 1 Corll Homes in History 2 Corll Homes in History 3 Corll Homes in History 4 Corll Obituaries Corll Obituaries Page 2 Corll Obituaries Page 3 Corll Obituaries Page 4 Obituary Index Corll Family Tree Corll Family Tree Number 2 Corll Family Tree Number 3 Blog

In this section we have listed some interesting or unusual events which have happened in the Corll and related cousins' history.

IT'S ALL OVER: Isaac Corll an early pioneer who lived at Herbert;s Corners in Canfield, Ohio was married to a Hettie Brunstetter. Isaac was born Apr.10,1829 and died Jan.23,1901.  His wife Hettie Brunstetter was born Nov.11,1828 and died Oct.1,1877.  They had a large family of 10-11 children. One newspaper reference said that he joined the army on Dec.10,1863.. We have no more info on his military service.  His trade was a butcher in providing this service to the inhabitants for the farmers of Canfield.  Many of his children  and wife are buried in the Old North Cemetery in Canfield.Ohio.  On Jan.23,1901 he was sitting on his porch when all of a sudden he threw up his hands exclaiming, "It's all over."  He died instantly.  After a funeral at his house he joined his already deceased family in the Old N. Cemetery located next to his estate.  There is a house located there which is still standing. It has a porch...It may be be the exact spot for his final story on earth.

Chatechism at Smith Corners: (1870 in the writing of Alice Corll Clay); The year was 1870 and these were the people who went to the catechism class the same time that I (Alice) did: Kate A. Forner, Mary J.Jones, Rachel J. Fink, Betty Houser, Cathy Prafst,n Alice Corll, Philip Stitle, William Forney, John Fink, Levi Corll, John Damona, John Slabough, Frank Dusman, Billy Bowman, Jefferson Corll, Washington Haniers, Isaac Crum and Frank Houser.

Levi Crum (source-newspaper clipping of Amanda Corll) Levi Crum committed suicide by drowning himself in Joe Smith's ice pond. He suffered from rheumatism and other aliments.  While his neice was out (she kept house for him) he wrote a note as to closing up his business affairs and to where his body would be found.He then went to the pond after tying a hankerchief around his neck. He waded in the water to a depth of two feet and leaned over submerging his head. They found him in this position.  He was 77 years old. He was in merchantile pursuits on Austintown,. He was twice married.  He leaves one daughter by his first mnarriage: Mrs. W.S. Fairman of Youngstown.  He was buried in the Lynn Cem. in Canfield, Ohio.

I WALKED THE ENTIRE WAY:Daniel Blott ,born August 12, 1815 and died December 18,1909 lived at Herbert's Corner in Canfield, Ohio.  Herbert's Corner was the intersection of the Canfield-Niles Road and the Herbert Road (rte 62) located about one mile north of the village of Canfield,Ohio. Daniel married Sarah Foulk born 1821 and died August 7,1886.  They had three children: Clorinda, Louisa and Nathan.  Nathan was born July, 1850 and died May 31, 1922.  He married on May 6,1875 Lydia Ann Corll, daughter of David and Lydia Ann Forney Corll of Austintown, Ohio.  Lydia Ann was born July 26,1848 and died in 1906.    In 1905 a family reunion was held for the 90 year old Daniel Blott at the home of his son Nathen in Canfield, Ohio.  The occasion was Daniel's 90 year birthday. His children and grandchildren were present. There was even great granchildren and the Rev. J.C.Schaaf present. A very long table was placed out on the front lawn.  It was covered with food.  At the head of the table was seated Daniel. A huge cake was placed before him with the inscription: "Daniel Blott-1815-1905.      A reporter from the local newspaper interviewed his son Nathan.  Nathan told him that his father, more than a year ago had an accident in breaking his thigh and would never be able to walk again. Nathan told him that it was an ironical ending for Daniel who as a lad of 15 walked the entire distance from Eastern Pennsylvania to Ohio.  All he had at the time was a few things in a back pack and his trusty rifle.  He settled on the land which would be his farm and present residence for 52 years.

NAMED FOR THE FAMOUS:   In researching anyone's family history one will find persons named after their parents, grand parents,aunts and uncles,etc.  It is somewhat uncommon for naming a child after a non family member and giving the offspring both the given and middle name in doing so. In the Corll genealogy we have several eamples.                                                                                                                                        

David Corll, b.Mar.31,1914, d.July 14,1887 married Lydia Forney b.Feb.22,1826; d.Aug.8,1895.  They had nine childrem:Lydia Ann (Blott);Jefferson;Monroe;Harriet (Crum); Elizabeth (Neff); Martin; Cornelius. Charles , and George.   George. Washington Corll was his full name named after our first President of the United Srtates. George was born Feb.2, 1851 and died feb.27,1868 at the age pf 27 years, 18 days.  He died of inflammation of the brain. At his funeral rhe text was "Weep Not.... St.Luke chapter 7 verse 13.  ...the Lord saw her,He had compassion on her and said Weep Not...."   George Washington Corll is buried in the Old North Cemetery, Canfield, Ohio.

Daniel Corll b.Mar.10, 1803, died Jan.1,1855. He operated a tannery in Brookfield,Ohio.   He was married to Mary Duncan b. Apr.16,1807, d. May 19,1863 They had nine children: John, Commodore, Wallace, Martha, Rachael, Mary, Jackson, Nancy and Amanda.  You might have guessed it....  The name we are looking for was Commodore..that is Commodore Perry Corll the great American admiral who won the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. Commodore Perry Corll was born July 20,1827 and died Feb 15,1855., He died less than a month after his father died. There was an epidemic...possibly cholera or typhoid going around in the winter months of 1855.  His father and he are buried in the cemetery in Brookfield, Ohio.

THE FALLING LIMB:  Sometimes the unexpect ends prematurely one's life on earth; Gideon Corll b.1839 Ohio and died Jan.12,1909 in N.Jackson,Ohio. He married on Nov.24,1867 Mary A. Misner b. 1844 and d. Oct.13,1934.  While doing yard work he was killed by a falling tree limb.  He is buried in the Village Cemetery of N. Jackson. Ohio.

Franklin P. Corll b.Nov.30,1848 and died Nov. 14,1926.  He was thee son of Peter Corll. On Dec.21,1871 he married Mary Ellen Lynn b. 1853 and d.Mar. 19,1910.  They had four children: Cora, Carlis, Lotten and Early.  On a cold day in November of 1926 the 78 year old Frank went to the outside pump well to possibly fetch some water for his car's radiator.  He fell through the boarded well covering and drowned instantly.  The lifeless body of Frank was found the next day by his nephew Peter J. Corll the new sherriff elect for Mahoning County. The body was at the bottom of the 40 foot well located next to a cider press.  Frank had been staying at the home of his son Curtis C. Corll in Cornersburg,Ohio. They had been searching all day Sunday and came upon a hat lying near the well and press; Upon further observation by fireman Joseph Kinnie ,deputy Conway and Dan Dyce the grusome scene was discovered. His watch had stopped at 8:20 am on Saturday which was shortly after he was noticed missing. He was last seen at the home of another son Earl W. Corll of Cornersburg,Ohio. The next day when he did not report to the Lutheran Church  the search intensified.  The family believes that Frank had been filling the radiator of his car when the well boards broke.  Frank was a farmer, a cider press operator and involved in may agricultural activities.  Frank and his wife Mary Lynn are buried in the Village Cem,.in Canfield, Ohio.

Archie Ernest Corll was another man who met his fatal end in an accident at Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company on Oct.16, 1909.  While we don't know the details his wife Phoebe, a young bride, sued the company and won  $1350 in settlement.  After taxes  she received $ 1282.75.  Archie b. Sept.17,1885, d. Oct.16,1909 mar. on Dec. 8, 1908 Phoebe b.1890. Archie's father was Freeman Corll. Freeman and Archie's uncle Henry are the two brothers who moved their families from Ohio to Michigan in the 1880s.. Archie's siblings were Sophia, Annie, Carrie, Grace, Mary, Minnie, Lettie and Florence.  Archie, while born in Michigan returned to Youngstown, Ohio to work for the company, He and his wife had no children.

Another account:Youngstown Vindicator,Oct.18,1909.  Two Men Met Death Under Tons of Metal:  In this account of the 23 year old Archie  Corll of 102 St.Louis Ave., Youngstown, he died  Saturday afternoon along with his friend Paul W.Weimer. The two men were caught under a dozen or more  huge slabs of iron weighing several tons that in some inexplainable manner became dislodged from a flat car on the narrow gauge railroad and toppled over upon them as they were at work making a waterline connection on a gax box that was along side the tracks.  The accident happened in the skelp yards near the No.3 mill.,  The slabs were piled on the flat car to a heighth of about three and a half feet.  There was no idea that the arrangement of the slabs was insecure and the men probably gave no regard to the car as they began their work.   No other men were in the vicinity and the car was not connected to any other cars.  The top plates became dislodged and brought the remaining plates with them.  Corll was killed immediately while his friend was rushed to the city hospital where he also died within two hours.  The coroner  made an investigation but could find no cause for the metal slabs dislodging.

A DIVINE DEVOTION    Francis I. Corll b.Mar.13,1904 and d. Sept.29,1982. Married by Rev.David Briturff Idelle's grandfather) to Idelle Katherine Fusselman b. Oct.12,1907 and died Sept.12,1980. They had two children: Robert Corll and Paul Corll (editor of the web site). I have included this brief sketch of my parents to show their deep devotion to God. They were always religious back to the beginning of my memory.  The church and the worshipping of God was on a daily basis. In the Evangelical Church located at Smith Corners, Austintown, Ohio my family worshipped. My grandmother was a teacher, prepared the sacrements,etc. My father was a teacher, a deacon, a teacher, a superintendent, etc. He was a leader in updating the old Civil War era church from wooden clapboard siding to brick.  He was a leader in the extension outreach of the church in conducting services for the homeless at The House by the Side of the Road in Youngstown and at the Canfield Infimary. For many years my father was the leader in having a church eating tent restaurant at the Canfield Fair, Canfield, Ohio.  My mother was a member of the Ladies Aide, the Woman;s Missionary Alliance and many other extensions of this same church. I still recall her and the ladies making clothing and bandages for the  WWII effort. In every way through tithes, hard work and spiritual guidance they were a part of this church.  In the 1950's they joined the Faith Temple Church in Warren, Ohio. Again through financial support, prayer, lay services they supported this church in intense effort. They attended the church on Wednesday evenings, Friday evenings, Sunday mornings and Sunday evenings each week. When I use to play on the church's program on the radio in Warren, Ohio they attended these programs every Saturday morning.  After a few years they joined the Calvary Church under Rev. Clem Humbard in Austintown, Ohio and continued their financial, service and prayer support. In their later days of their retirement they attended the First Baptist Church in Ft, Lauderdale.  Church was not attending a service but was a way of life in every moment. As my mother was on her death bed in 1980 she kept saying ,"Take me home...."  We were thinking that she wanted to get well and return to a normal life. My wife and my dad prayed outloud at her bedside. "God, if it's your will please take her home." When their prayers ended she instantly went to her heavenly home.

A TWIST OF FATE:  In this brief story we have four members of the Corll family :Daniel and his wife Mary or "Polly". Jesse and his wife Catherine.  Daniel and Jesse are the brothers of John Corll,sr. They started out their married lives in Austintownm Ohio, They reared large families. Daniel and his family left the area and went to Brookfield, Ohio and opened a tannery; Jesse and his family stayed in the area and operated a large farm.  On Sept.20, 1854 Catherine died leaving Jesse a widower.  The next year Daniel in Brookfield dies in the epidemic and leaves Mary "Polly. a widow.  Times were tough back in those days and Polly having many children needed support. On Sept. 20, 1855 she married her brother-in-law Jesse and moved her family to his home in Canfield,Ohio. Jesse, Catherine, and Mary are buried in the Old North Cemetery in Canfield, Ohio and Daniel and his son Commodore are buried in the village cemetery in Brookfield, Ohio.

WE WERE ONE OF THE FIRSTS:   In April,2001 in Akron, Ohio  the Ohio Genealogical Society of Ohio held its annual convention.  Paul, Vivian and Mary Corll attended.  The highlight of the convention for us was to have four of our ancestors inducted into the elite organization called the First Families of Ohio.  This is an organization made up of the first settlers in Ohio before the year 1821.  One has to give absolute proof of documentation that one's ancestors were actually living at that time in Ohio.  It may take 20 to 30 pages of facts showing that the people named were settled in Ohio ,but one has to show beyond doubt that they are related to the person submitting the application.  After almost a year of research we had the documentation for four of our gr gr grandparents.  My daughter Mary and I climbed the stage and received a certificate from Ted Miner, President of the Ohio Genealogical Society for our inducted ancestors:John Corll,sr., his wife Barbara Bailey, Nicholas Forney and his wife Elizabeth Sponsailer.  Back in the 1800s these two families lived next to each other at Watch Corners (intersection of Raccoon and Kirk Roads) in Austintown, Ohio.  The next generation following them had two sons of John Corll,sr. -David and John marrying two of the daughters of Nicholas-Lydia and Hannah. This event was truly an honor to have our ancestors become members in such a prestigious group. All four of the grandparents are buried in the Old North Cemetery in Canfield, Ohio.

A Untimely Quick Death : William Henry Koenreich was married to Victoria May Corll. Victoria was born in Wood County ,OH daughter of Gideon and Mary Misner Corll.  William Koenreich was the son of Eli Koenreich of New Buffalo,OH,  William and Victoria lived in Youngstown, Ohio.  William was employed by the Youngstown Steel Co at Brier Hill.  On July 30,1902 he climbed a twenty foot scaffold to make some adjustments on a new crane.  He just about had made the repair or adjustment  when a rope broke which threw him to the track below.The resulting injury was a fractured skull causing a quick death,  He is buried in the N.Jackson Cemetery in N.Jackson,OH.  He left behind his wife Victoria May Corll Koenreich, a son Leroy and a daughter Mary Beatrice Koenreich Richards,

He's as solid as a brick: Mary Adeline Corll Miller, daughter of Charles Kistler Corll relates about the humble beginnings of her grandfather. Jonathan and Marie Sechler Corll were the couple who came from Lynn Township, Northampton Co., PA in 1822.  They settled in Hubbard, Trumbull Co., Ohio. One of their sons was Jeremiah Corll-the grandfather of Mary Adeline or "Aunt Adeline."  Jeremiah was born in sheep shearing season on May 22,1816.  He weighed less than three pounds. On the cold nights his parents wrapped a warm brick in wool shorn from a healthy young ewe. Then Marie cover the wool with linen and placed the brick into a wooden box of the same size.  Jeremiah was placed in the box and covered with a small linen cloth.  He was fed with his mother's milk through a quill.  From those humble beginnings he grew into a healthy strong man of over six feet high. Living in Trumbull County he became the best shot, best wrestler, best rider in the Calvary in Warren, Ohio.  Aunt Adeline recalls Jeremiah resting on a cane with one hand  and use the other hand to efficiently use an ax, a scythe, a hoe,etc. Aunt Adeline was his constant companion until she was six years old and then much of her time with grandpa until she was 14.  Grandpa kept a big percheron for his personal use. Mary Adeline rode with him on that prancing steed from the time she was a baby. When as a small child she went with grandpa in the buggy grandpa would catch her by the shoulder and swing her to the ground to run errands.  She remembers getting a spanking one time.  On one occasion at church grandpa winked and grinned at her to come and sit beside him. He gave her a piece of candy which she ate and returned to her papa.  After a few minutes she went back to grandad for another piece . She is not sure how many times she made the trek but it was a felony and she received a spanking after church.  For years and years when the family would speak of Jeremiah and the the brick incubator the mentioning of it brought smiles to all the listeners.

The Austintown Township Park: While this is not a strange story it is unique   Sometimes we have places named after our family.  If one goes to Hubbard, Trumbull Co., Ohio there is a road named "Corll" on its east side.  This is where the Jonathan Corll family.  Although the house does not exist, it used to at the end of the road.  On Kirk Road of Austintown, Mahoning Co.,Ohio is the Austintown Twp. Park. The land was sold to the township by Francis Corll and Jay Corll.  Many years ago this farmland was cultivated by Charles Corll , Chauncy Corll and Jefferson Corll.

When one goes back into the park there is a jogging park named "Corll Woodlands."This area is where we would hunt squirrels when I was a teenager.  To the west of the park's woodlands is where Jefferson Corll had a sugar camp. For many decades maple sugar was made there. The Corlls for some time kept horses and ponies in this area.

Fatally GORED BY BULL:(newspaper clippings from Amanda Corll): Frank Fitch was killed last Saturday while at work on the Manchester farm.  Fitch and Edward Craig were cleaning the barn on the Manchester farm and decided to move the jersey bull in doing so.  This they did while each was hanging on to a strap attached to the ring in the bull's nose. Craig went into the house on an errand and Fitch moved the bull back. Fitch removed the strap and the bull gored him in the abdomen with one horn and tossed him out of the enclosure. The wound was fatal. Fitch was born in 1893 and was now 22 years old. Interment was made in the Ellsworth Cemetery. He was the son of Jesse B. Fitch,

Smith Corners One Room Schoolhouse: An early attendance report for the one room schoolhouse at Smith's Corners ending in May 15 (no yr.given: @1910): Those present every day (probably for the second semester) were Cyrel Grier, Chauncey Corll,Francis Corll,Maude Corll, Grace Smith, Selda Grier, Esther Harding, Guy DeCamp. Those missing two days or less: Maudelin Snyder, Howard Snyder, Armand Schnurrenberger, Frank Bortmas, Alfred Grier and Edith Rowe. Those present the entire year: Chauncey Corll and Selda Greier.  Total enrollment is 22. Report submitted by Frances Flickinger-teacher.

Found Hanging From The Rafters: (source:Mahoning Dispatch Sept.21,1951) (ref.J.Neff):When you check the history of many families one see a few who for one reason or another decides to commit suicide, Paul Crum was born on Oct.25,1897 and after 54 years on this earth decided to end his life.  On Sept.21,1953 they found his body hanging from the rafters in the garage which was ruled suicide by David Belinky, the county coroner.  He was the son of Austin and Lulu (Corll) Crum. He was a farmer who lived around Cornersburg his entire life. He was a member of the Zion Lutheran Church at Cornersberg,OH)

He had started for Pittsburg and quickly entered heaven instead:  (source:J. Neff): Francis F. Stroup, 1869 to Oct.13,1910.  Francis age 41 ,was about to cross the railroad tracks in Alliance, Ohio at about 9:40 in the evening.  For some reason he didn't see the approaching train. As he attempted to cross the tracks both legs were cut off above the ankles resulting in his untimely death.  He had started for Pittsburg,PA but never made it. He is buried in the North Jackson Cem. in North Jackson, Ohio.

The desk:  Sometimes heirlooms are retained in the family and are loved as keepsakes for many generations.  Take for instamce the desk that was in the possession of Jesse Corll, third generation to America.  It was one of two parcels of furniture to be in this lineage: a walnut handmade desk and a large walnut chest of drawers.The chest of drawers seems to originate in PA with its Pennsylvania Dutch style and markings with its faded gold leaf markings "Solomen Gilbert 1838"  The other piece,the walnut desk, may be of the same era or perhaps earlier. The desk was said to be given to the youngest offspring of each generation. Jesse "Jare: was the son of John Corll,sr; b,1827.  When John Corll,sr's father died within a few years John and his siblings moved from eastern PA to OH.  The PA Dutch style indicates that the desk may have been purchsed in the PA Dutch country of Eastern PA. where the family live in Lynn Twp. of Northampton CO. The youngest son of John Corll ,sr.who moved to OH ca 1816, youngest son  was Jesse "Jare".  Jesse lived in Southington,Ohio after marriage.  He too was a carpenter so perhaps he made the desk. At this point we now have a more accurate history of the desk.  In the later years of his life Jesse went to live with his son Edward in Zanesville,Indiana. When Jesse died Edward became the owner. When Edward died his youngest son Ruby at the time of his  marriage in Texas   became the owner for 34 years. The desk was given to Arnold Corll and his spouse in 1955.  When Arnold's wife Dorothy died the desk was returned to Ruby in Indiana where Ruby had returned to live. In the 1970s  the desk was given to Myron Corll, brother of Arnold and younger brother  of the two sons of Edward. The treasure desk remains in this loving home to this day in Huntington,Ind.  This truly a prized possession of the Corll history.

What would Smokey Bear Do? Source: Bob Orr; Ref. Joan Gibbs):"I have a story about Grandpa Corll.  My mother told me so many times. They had a hired hand called Ikey "Ike".  Ikey wasn't too "bright", but everyone loved Ikey and he was a hard worker.  Well- Grandma Clemons (Hugh at the time) never allowed no one to smoke in her house or around her (filthy habit).  Nobody knew Grandpa Corll smoked.  So one hot summer day ---the "two holer" door was open and smoke was coming out the door---pretty thick too.   My mother,Velva , Laura and Ikey and I am uncertain who else thought the toilet house was on fire.  So they ran to the horse trough and came back running with buckets of water.   They threw the water in the open door of the toilet house.  Out came Grandpa Corll with his long johns and pants down, just  a "cussin."   You darn kids put out my cigar----get going."  I can remember to this day how my Aunt Laura and my Mother telling this story, laughing so hard, until tears were streaming down their faces.  Memories are they GREAT!"

A Large Disconnect (source-editor Paul Corll) The above story got me to thinking of an incident that happened to my father and I while visiting the Canadian Exposition in Toronto,Canada.  We were going through one of the commercial exhibits where  the businessmen were showing off their wares.  I was 22  years of age and I played the marimba.  My father was trailing behind me when I looked around and saw him talking to a man at a hearing aid exhibit.   I approached closer to listen in....   The exhibitor was giving a good sales talk on the quality of sound of his hearing aids.  After he gave a long sales pitch he asked dad who would be needing the instrument in the family.  Dad said it would be for me , not noticing that I was standing behind him. I listened in as the conversation went on the salesman glowing in his presentation and dad replying to the questions about how long I had my present instrument. The salesman asked as to my hearing condition.  Dad replied that it was probably average size and that I played some by ear.  It was then that I finally got the status that the salesman was selling hearing aides and my dad was thinking that he was selling musical instruments. The questioning went on as to the brand that I had,  could I hear high notes,etc.  I backed off in embarrasment as I heard one of the final saleman's questions.  "How small is your son's instrument?" Dad replied, "about six feet and weighs around 150 pounds."  I scuddled off looking back at the two of them standing in silence staring at one another.  Dad finally walked away in seeing the blank look on the salesman's face. It was a disconnect not resolved.   (a six foot 150 pound hearing aid....hmmmmm....)

Corll Tragedy At Death Crossing:  St.Louis,MI: Rites were held for crash victims honoring youths killed in a car collision near Shepherd.  Funeral services were conducted for two Victims of an accident involving their automobile and an Ann Arbor freight train. The accident happened at :Death Crossing" near Shepherd.  Clyde Carl was one of the victims,age 19.  He was driver of the car which rammed into the freight train.  Clyde was born Jan.8,1918 in Seville,  His parents were Mr. and Mrs. Charles Carl. Clyde died Jan.14,1937.

He Fell Asleep:  "THE DRIVER WAS KILLED"  (Ref. Diane Hosler): Robert M. Rittenhouse  was on his way home from work in Grand Rapids.  He was travelling on U S 16 at  at 4:45 am when he came to a curve a half mile east of Fruitport.  He was apparently asleep when his car rammed into a truck carrying 18 tons of cement.  The truck driver told the state police that the driver made no attempt to turn on the curve by the Spring Haven Trailer Park.. Rettinhouse' car rammed into the truck telescoping the cars front end. His car smashed in a dual set of wheels  It tipped over the double tandem truck which plowed up the side of the road and rammed into a tree on the bank of the curve.The car was jammed under the undercarriage of the trailer  and Rettinhouse was pinned under the dash of his car.  Rettinhouse suffered a crushed chest, skull fracture, fractures of both arms besides other internal injuries.

He ends his own life:  (source-Mahoning Dispatch,Dec. 17,1909;ref.Jennifer Neff; paraphrased by P.Corll):Daniel Blott came to Canfield as a young boy who walked the entire distance.  He resided on a farm north of Canfield at Herbert's Corners.   He lived to be the oldest man in Canfield.  Most of his years were happy ones but in the waning time he grew despondent. On Dec.13,1909, unde mental stress and physical troubles  he decided to end his own life. by committng sucicide at the home of his son Nathan Blott.  The old gentleman used a razor to take his life. He cut a deep gash  in his left wrist severing the radial and ulner arteries.  The causes that led up to the sucicide are said to be somewhat due to disagreements with his daughter-in-law, the second wife of his son Nathan.  The old gentleman worried about living conditions and decided it would be best for him to go to the county infirmary to spend his last years on earth.    His relatives objected to such a request. Plans were already made for him to go Monday morning and stay at the home of his grandson H.C.Clay.  Mr. Clay lived a mile further up the road.    Before Mr. Clay arrived at the home of Nathan where Daniel was staying, the old man decided to take his life.    Two gashes on his neck showed that he had at first decided to slit his throat.  Mrs. Nathan Blott,the daughter-in-law told the authorities that she had noticed  the wound in his wrist and thought that he had accidentally cut himself when she had already removed the razor.  Daniel told Agnes to get a wash basis and set it near his chair so the blood would not fall and spoil the carpet. Giving no further attention Mrs. Blott left the house in going out in he yard where she was when her husband Nathan returned.  Nathan went in the house and discovered  his father  and found him sitting upright in his chair, dead.  In dying and evidently heeding his daughter-in-law's  warning against having the carpet spoiled the dying man had arranged his left arm so that the blood from the wound in the wrist would fall into the basin.  The basin was nearly filled with blood.   Daniel was born in Lehigh County,PA Aug.12,1815.  At 15 years of age he came to Canfield  and settled on the farm where he died. His only possessions were a small bundle of clothing and his trusty rifle.  Through hard work he farmed the land and had a house.  In 1841 he married Susan Foulk ,  She died about 24 years ago.  Daniel was a member of the Zion reformed Church.  He was very dedicated to the church for 80 some years  Before taking his life he evidently burned his will as they found the charred envelope which held it in the stove.Three hundred dollars were found in a table drawer..  He left two children,Nathan and Mrs. Peter Konzem.  Services for his remains were at the church next door-the Zion Reformed Church ad the body was interred in the Old N. Cemetery across the road.

Old Civil War Veteran Called to Rest on Armistice Day:Peter Corll married Sarah Rupright. They lived at the S.E. quadrant of Meridian and Kirk Roads in Youngstown,Ohio.They had seven children.  One of the children was named Henry Cliden Corll. When Henry was 20 years old he enlisted in the Civil War in 1864 and served in the Union for 18 months. He was in Company H and went to Columbus,OH.There he became a cavalryman and served under the command of Major General Kilpatrick. This unit of the army marched to the sea (Savannah,GA) with General Sherman.  The following info was sent to me from Willodean Waldron;descendant)  

One day Grandpa (Henry) came home and told his mother that he had enlisted in the army, as a calvaryman.  Grandma cried and begged him not to go, but he did go and went through the Civil War. He was in some real hardship as he was captured by the rebels when his beautiful horse was shot out from under him.  Grandpa loved horses very much.  They were going to take him to the Andersonville Prison in a short time.  This prison was a horror place and grandpa was so scared. In the distance he could see the smoke of his own army encamped for the night.  So he decided to make a break for it.  He ran and he ran as they shot at him, but he finally made it back to his army.  They had reported him dead , but were happy to see him.  The only replacement they had for his horse was a big mule.  Grandpa was really ashamed of this new stead but  he turned out to be really good.  Once they were going to cross a river  so grandpa thought he would probably drown, so he jumped off the mule and grabbed his tail. He said he probably wouldn't have even gotten wet if he had remained on the mule.  The mule proved to be an excellent swimmer.  Grandpa was in many battles such as Stone Mountain and Cumberland Gap.  He was with old Billy Sherman's march to the sea.  The Rebs were very short on food so they chewed lots of sugarcane stalks. and grandpa would see piles of pulp where the Rebs had stopped to rest.  The Union Army had plenty of food because they foraged each plantation.  On one  incident was when grandpa and three others  visited a farmhouse. They asked the lady for food, but she said that all they has was  a little corn meal.  As the soldiers were about to leave they heard a pig squeal in the cellar so they went down and got him.  They butured him and gave the lady a quarter of the pig and then they left and went back to camp.  On another occasion  grandpa and three or four other soldiers were out scouting when they came to a top of a hill.  In the valley below the Rebels were encamped for the night.  They had big kettles of food cooking, but they were so frightened that they left in a hurry.  One night grandpa was on guard and in the thunder and lightning all night he could see a man on a horse.  When morning came the man turned out to be only a pine tree stump.  After the war was over grandpa came home and needless to say, his folks were so happy to have him back.. Soon after the war he married.

Editor's note:  Henry married  Sarah Furgeson and five children.  Henry got employment as a laborer and a carpenter-the same trade as his father Peter.  He with his brother Freeman went to Arcadia ,Michigan with their families in covered wagons. They spelled their last name CORL. He moved a few times and lived a long life passing away on Armistice Day in 1928.  He was 83 years old.  He was born in 1844. After his militay service he went to Michigan where he farmed for many decades. His first wife Sarah died in 1917. He remarried a Nora Shaffer.He is buried in the Seville Cem, Gratiot,MI